Understanding funding options

There are many government programs that provide funding for in-home care. Each program has different rules about the services that can be funded and who can access them, and some funding is only available in certain areas. It’s a difficult system to navigate, but we’re here to help. We’ve outlined some of the more well-known funding programs to help you learn the terminology and get started on your home care journey. Remember, you don’t need to understand them all; give us a call at any time and we’ll help you find out if there’s a funding program to suit your needs.

Home Care Packages

Many older Australians are eligible for funding for services through a Home Care Package. A Home Care Package is a government-subsidised funding package for in-home care.

Learn more about Home Care Packages

Commonwealth Home Support Program

The Commonwealth Home Support Program, or CHSP, is a government funding program that provides small amounts of services for many people. These services are usually provided by the local council, and designed for people who only need a little bit of help—maybe assistance with cleaning once a fortnight to stay safe and independent at home.

If you need more than one type of service or you need services every week—for example, help to clean your house and get your groceries, then the Home Care Packages program is likely to be more suitable for you.

There is no income assessment required to access CHSP funded services and you don’t need to have an Aged Care Assessment. Depending on the program and the service provider, you may be asked to make a contribution to the costs of your service.

If CHSP services may be right for you, the process involves three steps:

  1. Call My Aged Care—1800 200 422. If you meet the government eligibility criteria for CHSP services you will be referred to your local Regional Assessment Service.
  2. The Regional Assessment Service will conduct an interview with you—usually over the phone, and then refer you to a local service provider.
  3. You can nominate Mercy Health to be your preferred service provider at any time when you are talking with My Aged Care staff or the Regional Assessment Service.

We have a number of programs funded through the CHSP. These operate in:

The rules for each program vary, so call 1300 466 322 and we can identify if CHSP is a good option for you.

Veterans’ Home Care

The Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) Program provides low level home care services to eligible Veterans and war widows and widowers. Your doctor can refer you to a VHC Assessment Agency for an assessment for access to VHC services if you are an eligible Veteran.

You or your family can also enquire about VHC services and eligibility by calling 1300 550 450. Calls should be made from a landline telephone, as calls from mobile phones cannot be connected.

We have a contract with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs to provide VHC services. You can nominate Mercy Health as your preferred service provider when the VHC assessment agency conducts your telephone assessment.

You can find out more about the VHC program on the Department of Veterans’ Affairs website.

Department of Veterans’ Affairs Community Nursing Program

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs provides veterans, war widows, and widowers (entitled persons) with access to a range of health care and related services—including community nursing services—at the Department’s expense.

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs Community Nursing Program provides home community nursing services for entitled persons to meet their assessed clinical and personal care needs. You require a doctor’s referral for the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Community Nursing Program, or you may be referred to the program by a hospital discharge planner. If you are already receiving Veterans’ Home Care services (as outlined above), your current service provider can organise a referral to this program.

We are an approved provider for DVA Community Nursing services in the following regions:

You can nominate Mercy Health as your preferred provider when your doctor or hospital completes the referral to DVA.

Information on all of DVA’s services, including the DVA Community Nursing program, can be found here on their website.

National Disability Insurance Scheme

If you are a person with disability and you meet the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) requirements, and you live in an area where the scheme has been launched, you can become a participant.

Checking the NDIS website is a good place to start. You can check if the NDIS is currently operating where you live, or when it’s planned to launch in your area.

We are a registered provider for disability support in the Geelong area, North East Melbourne and the Australian Capital Territory.

State Funded Disability Support Programs

If you live in an area where the National Disability Insurance Scheme has not yet been implemented, you can still engage with existing Australian and state and territory government disability services for your support needs.

To find a state government disability service near you, check this NDIS resource.

We are a registered Disability Services Provider in:

  • Metropolitan Melbourne: North West and South East areas.
  • The Barwon South West region in Victoria:Colac and Geelong.
  • Albury and the surrounding district, New South Wales.
  • Young and the surrounding district, New South Wales.

Self-funded options

All of our services can be purchased with your own money; you don’t need to wait for a government program to be available to get help or support. You can also use your own money to purchase additional services if the funding limit for your government-subsidised care has been reached, but you would like more support to keep you comfortable and safe at home.

Come directly to our team; we can help you find the best funding option for your needs and wants. Give us a call on 1300 466 322. We’re always happy to have an open and honest discussion about the cost of in-home independence services.

Our fees reflect the quality of our service. We are not the cheapest, and we are certainly not the most expensive service provider. We are committed to being transparent in our fee structures and we stand by our value for money and quality of care.

If you are considering a move to Residential Aged Care, you may be surprised that for a relatively small investment, additional in-home care could postpone or remove the need to leave your home.


Last reviewed January 15, 2018.

Home care packages

A Home Care Package is designed to keep you confident and comfortable in your own home. Learn what a Home Care Package is, how to access one, and how it can keep you independent.

Home care packages

Consumer Directed Care (CDC)

Consumer Directed Care is both a philosophy and a government initiative to help you get the most out of your Home Care Package. Learn what CDC is and what it means for you.

Consumer Directed Care (CDC)

Home care FAQs

Find the answers to frequently asked questions on home care, with insights into service costs, different ways we can help you enjoy living independently at home, and more.

Home care FAQs

Check if we offer services in your area.

Yes, we can provide services in your home.

Your local care team can offer more information to keep you safe and independent at home.

Contact your care team