Consumer Directed Care (CDC) is both a philosophy and an approach to delivering services. It is a government initiative designed to help you get the most out of your Home Care Package. We can help you understand what CDC means for you and why you need to know about it.
What is Consumer Directed Care?
Consumer Directed Care (CDC) is a government initiative designed to support all people receiving a Home Care Package.
The introduction of CDC means you now have more control over when and how you receive services, and who provides them. We can help you understand CDC, your services, and the way Home Care Packages are delivered. If you are confused or have specific questions, call us on 1300 478 776.
How does Consumer Directed Care work?
Under CDC, you:
- have a budget allocated for your Home Care Package and can decide how the funds are spent
- receive a regular statement showing the amount of funds remaining and how much you have spent on specific services
- can save unspent funds to use at another time
- remain in control of how much support or advice you would like from us and we will work in partnership with you to identify the services you want or need.
You can read more information about Consumer Directed Care on the My Aged Care website.
What does CDC mean for me?
CDC is designed to ensure you have more control over your care and services. In practice, it means you:
- have choice and control around who provides your services, and when they are provided
- have a right to personalised services and support, based on assessed need.
- have respectful and balanced relationships with service providers, reflecting the rights and responsibilities of both parties
- can access services and care to stay as independent as possible
- receive budgeting information, including the cost of your services, the contents of your individual budget, and how your Home Care Package is being spent.
How does Mercy Health implement CDC?
The principles of CDC are embedded in every aspect of our care. These principles form a large part of the way we care for you, and they touch every one of our services. We take our implementation of CDC one step further by:
- building on your existing skills and abilities, and suggesting services to improve and enhance your independence
- getting to know you and providing information that is clear and easy to understand
- providing services that help you continue to live a good life at home, feel healthier and get back to doing activities around your home
- encouraging you to stay connected with family and friends, and engaging in the community through outings and activities.
Learn more about our promise to our clients
Last reviewed March 29, 2019.