A dementia diagnosis does not mean you have to give up the things you love or enjoy, but it may involve some small changes to make everyday living easier. We can help you identify and implement these changes.
Our Dementia Advisory Service is here to support people living with dementia, and their carers or families, to help manage the changes that dementia can bring.
How we can help
Our caring and experienced advisors can assist you to:
- better understand the symptoms and different stages of dementia
- learn how to support your friend, family member, or loved one living with dementia so they can lead an active, meaningful life
- understand how to prevent and support complex or challenging behaviours that can be associated with dementia
- navigate aged care services and find the right dementia-specific support for your circumstance
- connect with and learn from leading specialists with the latest training in dementia support and management.
Additional practical support to manage a dementia diagnosis
In addition to helping you understand and manage a dementia diagnosis, there are practical supports available to make the experience easier.
Through the Dementia Advisory Service, you can access:
- A Dementia Consultant to visit the person living with dementia and their family or carer, to develop a tailored support plan and communication strategies between all parties.
- Recreational activities tailored to support, challenge, and enhance the psychological, emotional, social, and physical wellbeing of the person living with dementia.
- Up to 18 hours of respite care, to bridge the gap until more permanent or ongoing respite is arranged.
Eligibility for the Dementia Advisory Service
Our Dementia Advisory Service is currently available in the southern metropolitan region of Melbourne, covering the Mornington Peninsula, Frankston, Kingston and Bayside local government areas.
The service is only available for people over 65 years of age, or over 50 years of age for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders, living with dementia.
Please note we accept referrals to our Dementia Advisory Service through healthcare professionals, My Aged Care or direct self-referral. We charge a minimal $15.00 one-off fee to access the service.
For more information, please call 1300 478 776. We will keep your information strictly confidential.
Last reviewed March 26, 2019.